armenian portraits (ilya vartanian)
LIY: a 1987 domesticated housecat. Tumblr since '08, made fuckyeahreading! in April 2009. Writes & sleeps in a bedroom of books in Southeast Asia while clock ticks down to next adventure. 70% reblog posts. Say hi or something.
COMFORTABLE WITH: books, travelling light, bird's eye chilli, profanity
NERVOUS ABOUT: cubicles, crowds, tablecloths, infants, fashion
MORE AT: Bandersnatch vs. Milquetoast
I’ve said this before and I’ll point it out again -
Menstruation is caused by change in hormonal levels to stop the creation of a uterine lining and encourage the body to flush the lining out. The body does this by lowering estrogen levels and raising testosterone.
Or, to put it more plainly “That time of the month” is when female hormones most closely resemble male hormones. So if (cis) women aren’t suited to office at “That time of the month” then (cis) men are NEVER suited to office.
If you are a dude and don’t dig the ladies around you at their time of the month, just think! That is you all of the time.
And, on a final note, post-menopausal (cis) women are the most hormonally stable of all human demographics. They have fewer hormonal fluctuations of anyone, meaning older women like Hilary Clinton and Elizabeth Warren would theoretically be among the least likely candidates to make an irrational decision due to hormonal fluctuations, and if we were basing our leadership decisions on hormone levels, then only women over fifty should ever be allowed to hold office.
Did you know you can turn a phone into a projector?
Yep, and it only costs a dollar. It almost sounds too good to be true, but this DIY will show you how to set up a photo viewer in your home.
oh my god
a quick comic on accountability. sometimes it is important to disassociate yourself from patriotism and realise when you are contributing to the suffering of others.the names of the martyrs listed in panels 23, 24 and 25 are as follows:
1. Mohammed Shaaban, 24
2. Ahmed Shaaban, 30
24. Abdel Hadi Jamaat al-Sufi, 24
25. Naifeh Farjallah, 80.
26. Abdel Nasser Abu Kweek, 60
27. Khaled Abu Kweek, 31
28. Mohammed Areef, 13
28. Amir Areef, 10
30. Mohammed Malakiyeh, 18 months old
31. Hana Malakiyeh, 27
32. Hatem Abu Salem, 28
33. Mohammed Khaled al-Nimri, 22
34. Sahar Hamdan, 40
35. Ibrahim Masri, 14
36. Mahmoud Nahid al-Nawasra
37. Mohammed Khalaf al-Nawasra, 4
38. Nidal Khalaf al-Nawasra al-Meghazi, 5
39. Salah Awwad al-Nawasra al-Meghazi, 6
40. Aisha Nijm al-Meghazi, 20
41. Amal Youssef Abdel Ghafour, 27
42. Ranim Jawde Abdel Ghafour, an 18-month-old girl
43. Rashid al-Kafarneh, 30
44. Ibrahim Daoud al-Balawi, 24
45. Abdel Rahman Jamal al-Zamli, 22
46. Ibrahim Ahmad Abideen, 42
47. Mustafa Abu Mar, 20
48. Khalid Abu Mar, 23
49. Mazen Farj al-Jarbah, 30
50. Marwan Slim, 27
51. Hani Saleh Hamad, 5776. Omar al-Fyumi, 30
77. Abdullah Ramadan Abu Ghazzal, 5
78. Ismail Hassan Abu Jamah, 19
79. Hassan Awda Abu Jamah, 75
80. Mohammed Ahsan Ferwanah, 27
81. Yasmin Mohammed Mutawwaq, 4
82. Mahmoud Wulud, 26
83. Hazem Balousha, 30
84. Nour Rafik Adi al-Sultan, 27
85. Ahmad Zaher Hamdan, 24
86. Mohammed Kamal al-Kahlout, 25
87. Sami Adnan Shaldan, 25.
88. Jamah Atieh Shalouf, 25
89. Bassem Abdel Rahman Khattab, 6
90. Abdullah Mustafa Abu Mahrouk, 2291. Anas Rizk Abu al-Kas, 33
92. Nour Marwan al-Najdi, 10
93. Mohammed Mounir Ashour, 25
94. Ghalia Deeb Jabr al-Ghanam, 7
95. Wasim Abd al-Rizk Hassan al-Ghanam, 23
96. Ra’ed Hani Abu Hani, 31
97. Shahraman Ismail Abu al-Kas, 42
98. Mazen Mustafa Aslan, 63
(at the time of writing this comic, the list of victims was at 1000. it has now surpassed that number. the full list is here).
no politics, just regular human stuff.
I used to pray that God would feed the hungry, or do this or that, but now I pray that he will guide me to do whatever I’m supposed to do, what I can do. I used to pray for answers, but now I’m praying for strength. I used to believe that prayer changes things, but now I know that prayer changes us and we change things.
A work event took too long to start today, so I wrote this in under five minutes using three words suggested by Nadia Rocket on Twitter. She wanted: flip, scent, and long. I’ve been feeling a bit more confident about writing these days, thanks to the speed limit and cooperation of friends and strangers.
Exactly why I don’t understand bitchy Malaysian Muslims ragging on what people look like